Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Orphanage

So I thought maybe I would post a few little snippits from the book for you all ...


The first one will be from the "Orphanage", a section in the book with a little information and photos of some of the orphans we've had the last few years from the BLM.


A couple of the most memorable would be "Sweetheart" and "Karma".

As some of my followers may recall, Sweetheart just about didn't make it. She was days old when she came here and was pretty pathetic looking:





She nearly died due to an unknown infection. I slept in the stall with her for about 3 weeks, helping her to stand so she could drink her milk and eat her hay and grain. She never gave up and neither did I!


And this was Sweetheart as a long yearling, before she went to her new home:






Karma came to us at about 3-4 weeks old. She wasn't in dire need like Sweetheart but she did need mothering. She was an unusual color, even for a foal coat and we quickly determined she is a chocolate, or bay silver dapple.






When she shed out the following year, we decided we were right on her color:





Karma got her name because of circumstances before she came to me. I spotted her in the corrals on her dam about 2 weeks earlier. Her dam was a beautiful black mare, nicely built and Karma just had a "presence" about her. I jokingly told the BLM if that little one was an orphan I would take her in a heartbeat!

I got a call 2 weeks later. Another mare slammed into Karma's dam and broke her hip on a gate and she had to be put down. We brought her home and thanks to others on the wild horse lists on Yahoo, she was aptly named "Karma".

Jill in NC was dubbed Karma's "godmother"; if anything ever happened to me, she would go to Jill. As luck would have it, we simply got too full here with horses and were forced to downsize our herd. I offered her to Jill and she took me up on it. Karma went to training with Kitty Lauman before Jill got here to get her clear on the other side of the country. Karma did well with her training and she is enjoying life now on the east coast!

More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment