Thursday, August 6, 2009

Introduction















WELCOME!

Yes, I have joined the blogging masses! But for good reason! I'm here to introduce, and keep you updated on ...

Oregon's Living Legends (copyright 2009 LCR)

So, what's Oregon's Living Legends?

Good question!

Awhile back, I was speaking with a friend of mine, Michelle Severe, who is an extremely talented artist, with wildlife drawings and paintings one of her specialties. Actually, it's how I got to know her; she had created a bunch of artwork for a Kiger Mustang adoption event and we struck up a conversation, and a friendship, from that point on.

We were talking about how people asked if there was a book on Oregon's Mustangs, since Michelle had artwork on them.

Hmmmm ...

So, an idea formed ... and blossomed!

And Oregon's Living Legends was started!

So what's it all about?

Well, pull up a chair and I'll tell you a little about it ... and me!

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to write.

OK, that's not 100% true ... my dream has been to live on top of a mountain with a bunch of horses and write!

I'm in the high desert, so it's sort of on top of a mountain.

And I have a bunch of horses.

So, time to write!

After speaking with Michelle, and a few brainstorming sessions, I began researching and writing a book on wild horses. Specifically, Oregon's wild horses, since those are the wild horses I am most familiar with. My husband and I have been volunteers for the Burns (Oregon) district BLM for several years and have been duly impressed with the quality of the horses found roaming free in various herd management areas here. We have been equally impressed with the quality of the BLM staff involved in the management of the horses.

I felt the efforts, and the horses, of Oregon's BLM needed to be recognized, and show-cased, if you will. I contacted the Burns BLM, I went on-line, I scoured thru documents and photos, I called upon folks who have adopted horses and I began the compilation process.

The result is my book, Oregon's Living Legends, with a hopeful release date of Christmas of 2009 or just after the start of 2010.

My book isn't a political statement, it's not "pro-BLM", it's not "pro-wild horse advocate", it's not cold with just facts and it's not all touchy-feely with the whole "Black Stallion Syndrome" type of thing either. Actually, it's all of those things and none of those things at the same time. My hope is the book will not only help people see and understand the wild horses and the herds and grow to love and appreciate them they way we have but that it will also serve as an example of what the BLM program in every state *could* be.

One of the things I things I think people will like about the book is the eye appeal! Michelle has agreed to be my artist/illustrator for the book and with her artwork gracing the pages (and it will be available separately as well), a book unlike any other will emerge.

As an example ... the piece of artwork gracing this post depicting the gentling of a wild horse by a local trainer, Corine Elser. It will be accompanied by a wonderful poem by Andrea Bassett entitled "Freeze Brand" and will be included in the book.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds good so far.........Keep up the good job.....It will work
    Patty NJ A Mustang owner and lover

    ReplyDelete